Contd: Content Negotiation and HTTP 303 Redirect Code Samples

Tom Heath wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> [SNIP]

<<
I don't understand what the beef is here. Surely a note to the effect
that "some code samples describe deployment in an Apache environment
but may be applicable to other Web servers" would be adequate.

No beef, just clarity pursuit. As stated in my response to David Booth, we are partitioning the disambiguation component of Linked Data deployment i.e. separating this function from the actual server that publishes the Linked Data.

Thus, "applicable to other Web Servers" is fine, but try to associate this with the likes of Pubby and Virtuoso which also offer similar capabilities to Document Web Servers.

> > Since these scripts are fundamentally about dealing with ".htaccess" simply
> > make this crystal clear.

<<
Fundamentally these scripts are dealing with content negotiation and
HTTP redirects. The thread may have emerged in response to .htaccess
recipes, but the principles are largely generic.

See my comment above re. the functional separation. Also note, "303 redirection" is the mechanism for disambiguating between Resource Identifier and Resource Metadata via a single generic HTTP URI that is slash terminated.

The sooner we demote "303 redirection" to the "mechanics and detail aspect" of the Linked Data meme, the better.

--

Regards,

President & CEO