Re: any23: stop writes libraries in Java, portable code is needed

Dmitry Ulanov wrote:

> Yesterday, Richard announced a new any23 project [1]. It's a different
> question why we need a new one. I have an idea (thanks for Yaroslav
> Markin).
> Why not to implement such converters in Ragel [2] in general form
> and than
> translate them into different programming languages instead of just
> Java? I
> don't like Java and prefer Ruby, for an example.

The question could be turned around and asked, why do you prefer to
write in Ruby? Why don't you write in a general form which can be
converted into Java and then hooked into Any23? Different people
prefer different programming languages; and many people prefer
several languages in different situations. You're never going to get
everyone to agree to use the same programming language.

My project <http://buzzword.org.uk/swignition/> is pretty similar to
any23 in concept (i.e. aims at converting pretty much anything and
everything to RDF) and is written in Perl. But you don't need to be a
Perl programmer to use it because you can run it as a background
daemon, and then your program (written in whatever language you like)
can connect to it via TCP, tweak its options, pass a URI, and get
back RDF/JSON (or RDF/XML, Notation 3, etc). I've only briefly
skimmed its documentation today, but I imagine that Any23 has a
similar facility.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>