Re: how to mark up a photo on the web

From: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:39:07 -0500
Cc: Semantic Web community <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
On Feb 20, 2009, at 4:58 PM, Richard Newman wrote:

> Mark's point about attaching the longitude and latitude to the URL
> is quite important: a particular JPEG at some URL is an
> instantiation of some image, the taking of which is an event that
> occurred at some place and time (or perhaps a composition of several
> images, or a thumbnail of an image, or...). That's a pretty broad
> network of facts.

The work we did some years ago on photo annotation following the foaf
workshop is probably still a good approach:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/SimplePhotoAnnotation

The lat/long should be attached to the photo with dcterms:spatial.

> Similarly, the time a photograph was taken, the time a particular
> version of it was produced, and the time that a particular JPEG file
> was created on a server can all be different -- the first is
> probably what users will want to search on, but the last is what the
> filesystem will give you.

We simply used dc:date for the date the photo was taken, but that
might run afoul of using things like dcterms:created and
dcterms:issued (because of sub-property relationships) if you're
trying to encode those things.

.greg