Re: Semantic Web pneumonia and the Linked Data flu (was: Can we lower the LD entry cost please (part 1)?)

On 2/9/09 11:33 AM, Semantics-ProjectParadigm wrote:

> For the storage and cloud computing I have found that e.g. Sun
> MicroSystems and Sybase are willing to listen to all ideas about open
> source reference architectures and cloud computing, including for the
> semantic web.
At the current time, I can't make a DevPay AMI for Solaris on Amazon EC2.

As for Sybase, I don't see why DBMS specificity offers any form of
clarity re. Cloud Computing which is ultimately about using the cloud to
virtualize computing resources (machine, os, dbms, and apps as components).

Cloud Computing makes "Data as a Service" by way of virtual machinery.
Linked Data makes "Data as a Service" viable through the use of
de-referencable URIs as mechanism for Attribution and brand management.

Collectively, Cloud Computing and Linked Data offer a solution to:

1.  "Sweat & Brow" conundrum of yore re. publishing databases
2.  Tedium associated with publishing databases or knowledgebases -
example DBpedia, Bio2Rdf, NeuroCommons, and MusicBrainz could each be
assembled for immediate use in 1.5hrs or less compared to an error prone
16 - 22hr odyssey.

The incentive to publish/expose data in Linked Data form -- for any
entity -- is inextricably bound to the fundamental reason for being part
of the World Wide Web in the first place i.e. to discover and be
discovered with increasing degrees of serendipity.

Links:

1. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtuosoEC2AMI

--

Regards,