Re: live meaning and dead languages

Hi Richard --

You wrote...

*...that's overstating the role of model theory on the Semantic Web. The
formal semantics of RDF, as defined in [1], are based on model theory. But a
lot of the deployed usage of RDF considers it simply as a distributed graph
data model, and ignores (or even violates) the model theoretic semantics.*

The trouble is, if you don't have some kind of reference for what is
supposed to be deducible, then the results you get are implementation
dependent.

In the non-SW area, the SQL language suffers from this.  There is a SQL
query that gives different results in Oracle and in MySQL.  Neither of the
results is intuitively correct to most people.

In [1], it's argued that this problem is much more serious for the SW.

                                     Cheers,  - Adrian

[1]  www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/paper/19

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and
RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering