Re: Orderly (& JSON Schema language(s))

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 17:19 +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Just found http://orderly-json.org/

Orderly's still a bit of a work in progress, though there's already
implementations springing up.

It arose out of discussions on the JSON Schema mailing list
<json-schema@googlegroups.com>. Indeed I think some of the syntactic
features of Orderly are based on my suggestions (e.g. trailing '?' to
indicate optional properties; use of '{min,max}' to indicate ranges --
mostly ideas I nicked from regular expressions).

Orderly can be thought of as the equivalent of Relax NG Compact Syntax
for the JSON world. (Much like JSONSchema can be thought of as the
equivalent of XML Schema or Relax NG's XML syntax.)

Generally I think there is some interesting work to be done in "porting"
ideas from the XML world to JSON and vice versa. (Though with XML being
a more mature technology, there is more of the former than the latter to
be done.) Which brings me to...

> There's an online demo and code on github. Seems like it could be a
> good system to explore some GRDDL-ish extensions that map idiomatic
> JSON into RDF?

This is precisely what I was trying to do with jsonGRDDL (which I bang
on about from time to time):

http://buzzword.org.uk/2008/jsonGRDDL/spec

The idea is to port the GRDDL idea as closely as possible from XML to
JSON, but to do it sympathetically - i.e. to not try to shoehorn XML
technologies like XSLT in.

The idea is that you should be able to use "human-friendly" JSON
structures like:

 {
  "name" : "Toby Inkster" ,
  "homepage" : "http://tobyinkster.co.uk/"
 }

And be able to uplift the data into a more semantically rich model (i.e.
RDF). I have a working implementation, which for a while was offered
online as a web service, though it's down at the moment. I have plans to
port my implementation to Gregory William's RDF::Trine Perl framework.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>