Re: Linked Data Sources Related to Competence

Milan Stankovic wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> as a part of my PhD in Hypios [1], I am working on identifying experts
> on the Web (escepially the Social Web) in order to find potential
> problem solvers for particular problems on Hypios. Hypios is a
> marketplace for problems and solutions trying to connect companies
> with particular (R&D) problems, and people who can solve them. As the
> Web has become a place full of traces of users' activities,
> connections, etc. we believe that we can retrieve those traces and
> make a jugement of peoples' competences. My PhD is about using
> Semantic Web to do this.
>
> As a first step, we look at the Linked Data Cloud [2] for evidences of
> users' competence (research articles, interests, wiki pages, other
> user-generated content, etc.). Since the original LOD cloud doesn't
> make the job of finding competence-related sources very easy, I have
> made a map of Linked Data sources that contain evidence of users'
> competence. The map should be useful to all the people building
> Semantic Web applications that deal with users' competences. I would
> like to share this map with you and get your comments and suggestions
> for improvement
>
> You can find the map here:
> http://research.hypios.com/mstankovic/lod-competence/
> and a corresponding blog post here:
> http://research.hypios.com/mstankovic/2009/12/08/evidence-of-competence-on-linked-data/
>
> If you find anything missing, or have any ideas how to improve it,
> please do send your comments (by e-mail, or even better - directly on
> the page in the comment form).
>
> I thank you in forward.
>
> Best regards,
>
> [1] http://www.hypios.biz
> [2] http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/pub/lod-datasets_2009-03-05.html
>
> Milan Stankovic
> PhD Student @ Hypios.com
>
> Learn to love problems! www.hypios.com <http://www.hypios.com>
> Get your problems solved! www.hypios.com/seeker
> <http://www.hypios.com/seeker>
> Hypios says hello. Come talk to us! www.hypios.com/hello
> <http://www.hypios.com/hello>
> Read our thoughts! blog.hypios.com <http://blog.hypios.com>

> personal homepage: http://milstan.net
> personal blog: http://milstan.net/blog
One little correction. Please change: Virtuoso Sponger (the name of a
component of Virtuoso) [1] to URIBurner (an actual service that
generates HTTP based Linked Data "on the fly" from a myriad of Web
accessible Resource Types, and persist into a Quad Store) [2][3].

Everytime a user invokes the services of URIBurner (via Bookmarklet or
extensions re. FF) the following happens:

1. Resource is RDFized (this is a pipeline that includes making a basic
graph from target resource and the performing LOD cloud lookups en route
to making a richer Linked Data mesh)
2. Data Objects re assigned proxy HTTP URIs (Linked Data principles
compliant)
3. owl:sameAs relations are established with the RDFized Resource (Rule
4, in a nutshell)

Net effects of the above:

1. Powerful Linked Data meshes that are reusable across any HTTP network
(Data Object HTTP URI is all you need)
2. Discovery can occur via HTML pages (which use <head/> and <link/>
for auto-discovery) or via HTTP response via LINK header (matching
what's in the HTML <head/> re. <link/>
3. URI Discovery can also occur via the /FCT (Faceted Browser Service)
which offers: Full Text, URI Lookup by Label, and raw URI Lookups
4. URI Discovery can also occur via Usage Pages associated with this
instance (or any other Virtuoso instance with /FCT enabled) which
expose: Direct and In-direct co-references
5. SPARQL endpoint which is Sponger Enabled (so you can query what's in
there or provide Resource URLs as Graph IRIs and progressive add more to
the Quad Store)
6. Progressive increments to the LOD cloud based on user interactions
means we have a dynamic component to the LOD cloud that goes beyond data
sets loaded into RDF stores.

Chris/Anja: The same comment applies to the next edition of the LOD
cloud re.  Sponger label.

Links:

1. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtSponger
2. http://uriburner.com