Re: Suggestion for PhD thesis theme (connected with Semantic Web technologies)

Some naive ideas:

* Using semantic technologies for emerging earth science concepts
   (On the tricky aspects of working with concepts and vocabularies
are keeping up with emerging science, and are therefore always
changing, in poorly defined and understood ways...)

* Comparative analysis of comparative techniques for semantic
representations
   (How do you evaluate an ontology or vocabulary to determine if it
is useful for your purposes? What are good and bad qualities of
ontologies? What techniques can be used to rate the value of community
ontologies?)

* Comprehensive semantic search engines
   (There are a lot of search engines and search techniques when you
are looking for a suitable ontology. They are all a far cry from
Google. How can all this information be consolidated for search users?)

* Ontological design techniques and patterns
   (The PhD version of the book Semantic Web for the Working
Ontologist. What are the most powerful options for modeling in order
to get the best (inferencing/discovery/reuse) results?

John