Re: ontology of (open source) licenses?

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM, John
Graybeal<graybeal@marinemetadata.org> wrote:
> So (at the risk of adding lots of work for little short-term gain), I
> conclude that if I really want to have a deterministic and historical record
> of the open source licenses over time, I will need to create my own
> vocabulary and track its changes.

Yes, you'll need to create your own repository, I think, and grow it
over time, if you care about history.

If you were to do this the result would be a very valuable and
interesting resource.

The following are not exactly what you're looking for, as it appears
you're mainly interested in code rather than data, but they seem
related and may provide some methodological ideas:

On the complexities of sharing scientific data
http://sciencecommons.org/weblog/archives/2008/07/16/on-the-complexities-of-sharing-scientific-data/

Check Your Data Freedom: A Taxonomy to Assess Life Science Database Openness
http://precedings.nature.com/documents/2083/version/1

-Jonathan Rees