Re: Media types for RDF.

* Dave Beckett wrote:
>There's no process for W3C to do track this as far as I see and the process
>from the IETF side is rather opaque to me, apart from email the ietf-types
>list for advice/feedback, which does not seem to be authoritative.

W3C's IETF liaison is responsible for this as far as W3C-defined formats
are concerned and http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype tracks
more or less the status. Graham explained the IETF side of the process,
although I note that if registration is through an RFC, it need not be a
standards track publication.

>It would be good to get the turtle one done.  The major subtlety here is
>default encoding.  N-Triples is always ASCII, Turtle is always UTF-8. So
>text/plain is fine for .nt and it does not need a registration.

The subtype is defined as

  The simplest and most important subtype of "text" is "plain".  This
  indicates plain text that does not contain any formatting commands or
  directives. Plain text is intended to be displayed "as-is", that is,
  no interpretation of embedded formatting commands, font attribute
  specifications, processing instructions, interpretation directives,
  or content markup should be necessary for proper display.

N-Triples hardly fits in there.