Re: [foaf-dev] [foaf-protocols] FOAF sites offline during cleanup

>>> 2. http://pingthesemanticweb.com  (PTSW)
>>> 3. http://sindice.com
>>
>> It seems highly unlikely.
>>
>> The only way to get a representative sample is to select some of
>> the data randomly.
> Okay.
>
> So I end this thread by asking: isn't that basically what we have in
> our instance? Its data comes from the sources above plus others.

I think I wasn't clear enough, I meant "...is to select some of the
data [from the whole population] randomly".

Given that the 3 sources above don't have 100% coverage, and are
biased in their own ways that can't be the case.

Anyway, that's really offtopic, my point was that if you have a large
enough slice of the FOAF data you can see that the majority of the
data has bNodes in it.

>> ESW links a human-curated selection of sites, PTSW gets fed
>> similarly similarly and Sindice crawled, IIUC.
>>
>> I don't think anyone even has a good idea of how many FOAF files
>> are out there, to know if they have a good selection or not. I
>> think we have 12 million or so unique ones, but we know there's an
>> awful lot more out there.
>>
>> Ontop of that, "FOAF" is especially vague, eg. do qdos.com profiles
>> (eg. http://qdos.com/user/Steve-Harris/18b6f60b41e05aaa418565ebfe901d6b/turtle)
>>  count as FOAF profiles? They have foaf:People in them, and use one
>> or two foaf properties, but foaf: is not the most common prefix.
>>
>> What about DOAP files with lots of FOAF in them? Some use foaf:
>> more than doap:, and so on.
> DOAP files are picked up from PTSW and a few other data sets that
> use FOAF.

Some of them are, yes.

> Maybe we chat by phone of private IM (IRC, Twitter, Identi.ca etc
> about this) ?

If you like, I'm on #swig, but I'm AFK quite a bit this afternoon, so
it might be patchy.

- Steve