Re: FOAF sites offline during cleanup

On 26 Apr 2009, at 17:21, paola.dimaio@gmail.com wrote:

> Hay Bijian
>
> I am not sure where you get your certainties

I get the certainty that you've not been murdered by the fact that you
are sending email. I get the certainty about the people I know by
knowing them.

> from, and I am happy to take my choice of analogy  offilst
>
> when my accounts were hacked, I felt like had been physically
> violated, no more no less

I dearly hope that you are still exaggerating and that you have never
been physically violated and that your experience of being hacked was
not remotely equivalent.

> I work for a victim support group,
> and the feeling that one gets from aggression is the same in
> different incidents

I was very careful to talk only about people I know. I don't know if
the survivors you know feel the way you do, but I'm surprised that
given that you work for a victim support group, you would not use more
care in making such analogies. I'm trying to take care not to say
things based on presumptions about your background precisely because
it would be presumptuous and potentially hurtful.

> I can share the references with you, if you are itnersted

I am not interested in further interaction with you.

> I know its a strong analogy, but that's exactly how I feel when my
> servers are hacked
>
> I guess I have a strong bond with my storage
>
> I am sorry IF  that *IS* disturbing

I'm sorry that you have such reactions. I'm surprised that you do not
see that expressing this analogy might not be disturbing and hurtful
to at least some survivors and their family and friends. I'm still
surprised that you think that the analogy is both accurate and worth
making. Even if you (and perhaps a percentage of the population) have
to some degree analogous reactions, it's amazing that you would not
acknowledge that the lack of, e.g., physical assault makes the analogy
offensive and essentially inaccurate.

There's a reason that laws treat theft differently from assault.

I strongly recommend that you ask the W3C to delete this exchange from
the archives. I would certainly support that.

Bijan.