Re: Semantic Suggestions please ...

Hi Neil,

Over on the RDFa list you berate the group for not eating their own
dogfood, saying we should be providing something 'more' than just a
wiki and a list.

:)

But the main point of RDFa was actually to enhance the kind of pages
you are talking about.

Adding RDFa to your pages gives two benefits. The first is that other
people can then consume your data, if they have an RDFa parser. It's
just the same as consuming an RSS feed from your server, except the
data is RDF.

(Of course you could publish your data as RDF/XML to get the same
effect, but then you would two sets of pages, one for RDF and one for
HTML.)

The other benefit of publishing RDFa in your pages is that you can
enhance the end-user experience. Take a look at this example, which
publishes a page with some RDFa in it, and then uses a JS library to
post-process that RDFa to both geo-code any addresses, as well as add
maps:

  <http://webbackplane.com/node/63>

That's just one example of what can be done with the embedded data --
it could just as easily be used to derive share prices for your
companies, thumbnails for your people and products...and so on. The
key thing though is that the same data is being used both by other
servers and the client-side JS.

We're using exactly these techniques for a project for the UK
government at the moment, and since this is exactly what RDFa was
invented for, I have no doubt that the same techniques would enhance
your site, too.

Regards,

Mark

--