Re: Plan3 — A Procedural RDF Programming Language

From: Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:14:41 +0200
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org

Hi Sean!

I think this is really cool! Not the least since I recently toyed with
the idea of an imperative, somewhat functional cross between Python
and N3. While I had Pluvo somewhere in the back of my head, I sadly
had missed your post about Plan3.

I hadn't *any* thought about presenting my silly sketch yet (or at
all), but your post prompted me to throw the idea out here (especially
since I considered contacting you about it sometime, since I figured
you might be thinking along the same lines..).

The working name is "Ardele", for "Resource Decription
Extraction/Execution Language" (RDEL). I haven't even grounded a plan
for implementing it.

Now, I don't know how much sense this sketch makes; it's mostly a
written thought in progress:

The gist of it is: an imperative language where all datatypes are
RDF-based, and the runtime context is a graph (or several contexts).
It "looks" class-based, but all public symbols are URI:s, including
"methods" - so it's more of a different way of solving the "open class
vs. monkey patching" schism you can see between e.g. ruby and python.
I don't know yet if I'd like for it to be a general-purpose language
or mainly for RDF extraction (sort of a PL/SQL for SPARQL if you

Perhaps you will find the idea interesting (if it's even legible that
is), or someone else here.

Best regards,