Re: Survey of Java SPARQL endpoint query API

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Mark Diggory <mdiggory@mit.edu> wrote:
<snip/>

> I guess I need to give a better example. Today I have:
>
> 1.) The Sesame TupleQuery API to SPARQL Query with local and remote Sesame
> Stores.
> http://www.openrdf.org/doc/sesame2/2.1.3/apidocs/org/openrdf/query/package-use.html#org.openrdf.query.parser
>
> 2.) The ARQ Query Engine for Querying  Jena...
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/j-sparql/#2
>
> 3.) Support for SPARQL queries on Mulgara...
> http://www.mulgara.org/trac/wiki/UserAPI

I'm not sure that it's fair to compare these systems based on their
internal APIs. After all, if that kind of thing were expected then it
would be completely unfair to implementations in non-Java languages.
The only common standard that can be expected is an IPC-based one.
SPARQL protocol makes perfect sense here.That's why Mulgara went to
the effort of building their SPARQL servlet (not perfect, but it's a
start).

That said, I agree that SPARQL doesn't do it all yet (particularly
since there's no update standardized yet), but it's where things
should be aiming. In the meantime, I guess that's why there's been a
lot of hard work to get the Sesame SAIL API talking to Mulgara.

Regards,
Paul Gearon