Re: Berlin SPARQL Benchmark V2 - Results for Sesame, Virtuoso, Jena TDB, D2R Server, and MySQL

Hi,

On 17/09/2008 11:53, Chris Bizer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> over the last weeks, we have extended the Berlin SPARQL Benchmark
> (BSBM) to a multi-client scenario, fine-tuned the benchmark dataset
> and the query mix, and implemented a SQL version of the benchmark in
> order to be able to compare SPARQL stores with classical SQL stores.
>
> Today, we have released the results of running the BSBM Benchmark
> Version 2 against:
>
> + three RDF stores (Virtuoso Version 5.0.8, Sesame Version 2.2, Jena
> TDB Version 0.53) and
> + two relational database-to-RDF wrappers (D2R Server Version 0.4 and
> Virtuoso - RDF Views Version 5.0.8).
>
> for datasets ranging from 250,000 triples to 100,000,000 triples.
>
> In order to set the SPARQL query performance into context we also
> report the results of running the SQL version of the benchmark against
> two relational database management systems (MySQL 5.1.26 and Virtuoso
> - RDBMS Version 5.0.8).

> It is interesting to see:

> 4. that the fastest RDF store is still 7 times slower than a
> relational database.
Has has there been any analysis on whether there is a *fundamental*
reason for such performance difference?
Or is it simply a question of "maturity" - in other words, relational db
technology has been around for a very long time and is very mature,
whereas RDF implementations are still quite recent, so this gap will
surely narrow ...?

Cheers

Daniel Schwabe
Tel:+55-21-3527 1500 r. 4356