Re: OWL-S

Hi Michael and all,

While I'm not sure of the status of this work at W3C, there is a more
general effort going on currently at OMG, under an RFP called UPMS (UML
Profile and Metamodel for Services --
http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?soa/06-09-09).

In the Ontology PSIG at OMG, we have been discussing the relationship
between ODM (the Ontology Definition Metamodel --
http://www.omg.org/spec/ODM/1.0/Beta3/), and this UPMS effort.
Yesterday I participated in a telecon with the UPMS submission team, and
we agreed that at the OMG Santa Clara meeting we will discuss changes to
the UPMS submission to put the "hooks" in to use ODM for service
description, classification, etc., and also to initiate work on an RFP
to develop a service description ontology.  The ontology would be
published in the form of an ODM-based model (i.e., a UML model with ODM
stereotypes and constraints for RDF and OWL applied, in the form of an
XMI file), as well as native RDF and/or OWL, and would be made publicly
available via the OMG web site.  It would also be well integrated with
related work currently ongoing at OMG.  David Martin (SRI) and I are
presenting in the Analysis and Design Task Force session at the Santa
Clara meeting (Dec. 10 -- see link on the OMG home page) on exactly this
topic.  Participants include not only SRI (who are among the primary
authors of OWL-S) but also some of the folks who have championed WSMO.

The OMG meeting itself is open, as is the ADTF working group session,
fyi.  The SOA ABSIG meets on the Tuesday, and our Ontology PSIG meets
Thursday morning, all in the same week.  You would be more than welcome
to join us and share requirements.

Best regards,

Elisa