Re: URIs and Unique IDs

Thanks for the comments, Dan.

I expect that for most people it is indeed a mild nuisance or similar.

For me on my job, it is a major headache adn it is getting worse, not
better.   When the new version of Wordnet came out, we were faced with
choices:
1. go through a long and painful process to 'do it right', by finding out
which URIs shoudl be the same and which ones different. Reverse engineering
what we wish would have been done in the first place (keep same URIs for
thigns that do not change)
2. go through the process of changing our application in the appropriate
places where any of teh old URIs were used.
3. dont bother upgrading to the new version.

None are attractive.

So I can agree that it is not a crisis now, but things are deterioriating,
not improving.   I was distressed to learn what SKOS was contemplating.
So I am argunig that there is a looming crisis.

A few months ago there was no financial crisis. Now there is.

In a few months or year or two, there could well be a full blown URI crises.

My work on this is aimed at preventing this crisis from unfolding before it
is too late.

Michael