Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

From: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@cnr.it>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:17:58 +0200
Cc: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@cnr.it>, "Michael F Uschold" <uschold@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Semantic Web Interest Group <semantic-web@w3.org>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "Fabian M. Suchanek" <f.m.suchanek@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@csail.mit.edu>, Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>, Mark Greaves <markg@vulcan.com>, georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de, Jens Lehmann <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>, Michael Bergman <mike@mkbergman.com>, Conor Shankey <cshankey@reinvent.com>, Kira Oujonkova <koujonkova@reinvent.com>
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>

Hi Richard, sorry for any misquotation, I wanted to describe the
issue, not to criticize
other opinions out of context. See comments below

Il giorno 15/mag/08, alle ore 12:20, Richard Cyganiak ha scritto:

> Aldo,
>
> Please keep your facts straight.
>
> On 14 May 2008, at 22:24, Aldo Gangemi wrote:
>> owl:sameAs is great to co-reference persons, places, etc. It is
>> buggy when used to relate e.g. foaf:Person
>> instances to persons' homepages,
>
> I would like to point out that I haven't come across any instance
> where this has been done or encouraged.

I have not said that, but that none has "discouraged"

>> or a city as from Cyc to a wikipedia article of that city (as done
>> in DBpedia).
>
> DBpedia doesn't contain any owl:sameAs statements between Cyc
> resources and Wikipedia articles.

See the extended datasets (http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Downloads) for
"Links to Cyc" at:
http://downloads.dbpedia.org/preview.php?file=3.0_sl_en_sl_links_cyc_en.nt.bz2

> [snip]
>> It is reasonable, as Richard Cyganiak wrote at the time, that we
>> have to work around the quirks [2], nonetheless, if there is no
>> real need, why should we work around the quirks caused by a
>> pointless identity assumption?
>
> I feel misquoted. In the original discussion [1], I encouraged the
> use of owl:sameAs between three different definitions (Geonames,
> GEMET and DBpedia) of the concept of a “canal”. I did *not* advocate
> to gloss over the difference between a thing and a document about
> that thing, as you imply by your examples above. To the contrary, I
> have insisted on this difference many times, e.g. in [2].

That's ok. I used an indirect quotation of yours from Bernard Vatant's
blog.
Talking of content, on the sameness of Geonames and DBpedia articles I
have anyway a different intuition:
Geonames refer to geographical locations, DBpedia entries to articles,
which on their turn can refer to geographic locations

> At the end of the day, we have to keep in mind that we are talking
> about the Web. Statements will be subjective, inconsistent and
> wrong. This also applies to owl:sameAs statements. They are claims,
> not facts. Deal with it.

Agreed. I do not want to be picky about that: SW is Web, and errors
are life.
Just there is no need to use owl:sameAs in many cases, and at least in
LOD large projects, this can be avoided easily.

Thanks for clarifying
Aldo

_________________________________

Aldo Gangemi

Senior Researcher
Laboratory for Applied Ontology
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513