Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

From: Kendall Grant Clark <kendall@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:41:18 -0400
Cc: Michael F Uschold <uschold@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, Frank van Harmelen <frank.van.harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Semantic Web Interest Group <semantic-web@w3.org>, Fabian M. Suchanek <f.m.suchanek@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@csail.mit.edu>, jim hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>, Mark Greaves <markg@vulcan.com>, georgi.kobilarov <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>, Jens Lehmann <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>, Michael Bergman <mike@mkbergman.com>, Conor Shankey <cshankey@reinvent.com>, Kira Oujonkova <koujonkova@reinvent.com>, Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>, Ivan Mikhailov <iv@openlinksw.com>, Orri Erling <oerling@openlinksw.com>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>

Excerpts from Kingsley Idehen's message of Wed May 14 14:59:29 -0400 2008:
> Owlgres is a PostgreSQL application. Why the DBMS specificity?

Because it makes for a better name, obviously... ;>

Seriously, it's not Postgres specific. We prefer Postgresql, but Owlgres can
run on any JDBC-compliant database. I suspect that, as it matures and we find a
customer base for it, it will run on a variety of databases.

> What does PosgreSQL offer that you may have assumed is/was missing from
> Virtuoso when developing this application?

I don't know why you're assuming that I assumed anything, but the primary
reasons we chose Postgresql were maturity, scalability, extensibility, vibrant
after-market, BSD license, and PostGIS.

> I've also added, Orri Erling (Program Manager Virtuoso), Ivan Mikhailov
> (Lead Developer of Virtuoso's Quad Store functionality realm), and Alan
> Rutternberg to this thread (Alan is interested in Owlgres and Virtuoso
> integration).

If you'd like to have a conversation with Alan or others about Owlgres working
w/ Virtuoso, we can do that offline or at SemTech next week, but I don't think
it's very relevant here.

Cheers,
Kendall