Re: Biological Taxonomy Vocabulary 0.1

Toby,

[CC'ing rdf-schema-dev]

This is very interesting, and it's nice to have an example of an RDF
vocabulary that is defined using RDFa. It's obvious that a lot of work
and care went into preparing the HTML+RDFa document. Very well done!

Some specific comments below.

1. Your RDFa contains an owl:Ontology instance. You made it a blank
node. It should be http://purl.org/NET/biol/0.1 instead, because
that's the URI of the ontology.

2. I think the version numbers in the URIs are a bad idea. FOAF has
changed quite massively over the last years, and it's still at 0.1,
because actually changing the version number would break all existing
clients. Dan Brickley has stated that it will always remain at 0.1.
And unlike the complex area of describing people and their social
relationships on the ever-shifting Web, your subject matter is rather
stable and well-defined, so version numbers seem even less useful in
your domain. (If you should ever decide to design a completely
different and entirely incompatible vocabulary, just call it something
else instead of fiddling with version numbers.)

3. You should consider using hash URIs for your terms: http://purl.org/NET/biol/0.1#Taxonomy
  instead of http://purl.org/NET/biol/0.1/Taxonomy. If you use slash
URIs, looking up all of your 18 terms requires 38 HTTP requests,
including all redirects. If you use hash URIs, it requires three.
(Seriously, I question why anyone would *ever* want to use slash URIs
for vocabulary terms. Just because DC did it wrong ten years ago and
FOAF did it wrong eight years ago, there's no reason to repeat this
mistake NOW. Fortunately, *all* vocabularies that have become widely
used afterwards use hash URIs.)

4. rdfs:labels are supposed to be human-readable, so "common name"@en
would be more appropriate than the geeky CamelCase "commonName"@en.
Also, consider changing the label of biol:hasTaxonomy to simply
"taxonomy"@en, because some tools will use the "is XXX of" convention
to show inverse labels, and of course "is taxonomy of" is better than
"is has taxonomy of".

5. In your discussion below you seem to conflate two independent
issues: having URIs for species, and declaring classes for each
species. The first one seems to me like a very good idea, while I
agree that the second one is not a very good idea.

I want to be able to say in my FOAF file:

ex:Richard biol:hasTaxonomy <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Human> .

because that DBpedia resource clearly represents the species I happen
to be a member of, and the DBpedia resource has a lot of additional
information about the species, so why should everyone re-describe the
species in detail when they can just link to an existing resource? I
think in general it's a good idea to link to existing resources
instead of creating new blank nodes like you do in your examples. So I
think it would be a good idea to have such an example in your
vocabulary document, where biol:hasTaxonomy is used to link to a
species described elsewhere, e.g. in DBpedia.

6. All your examples use RDF/XML. Why no RDFa?

7. I love the "Editor: Toby Inkster, Homo Sapiens" line.

All the best,
Richard