Re: [foaf-dev] RDF triple assertions live forever?

Dear Philip

Whether triples live forever or not seems of little relevance, the truth
value of triples depends on the world against which they are evaluated
and the universe we live in is different at every point time.

RDF semantics "assumes, implicitly, that URI references have the same
meaning /whenever/ they occur" [1], this assumption makes triples
expressing the meaning of the named node of invariable truth value.
However, I don't think that this has any effect of accidental properties
of a resource. Of course, opinions on which properties are essential and
which accidental may diverge. Some might regard the statement  "ex:Alice
rdf:type ex:HumanBeing" as expressing an essential property of Alice but
not of HumanBeing, others might argue that after a certain degree of
cyborgisation Alice would still be Alice as the constant meaning of
ex:Alice but no longer a HumanBeing. I think a safe approach is to
consider everything but the name itself as accidental properties.

RDF provides no means to un-assert or to negate a graph. Ontologies
however can be either designed to describe invariable worlds (or
time-slices of a changing world) or to describe a world including its
temporal dimension. In the latter case true triples never become false
as long as the world is consistent with the assumptions of the ontology
designers.

For example using FOAF we have a graph

[foaf:mbox mailto:reto@gmuer.ch ] foaf:lastName "Gmür".

Which was true till 2002-06-04 and false since then. With another
ontology designed to describe a changing world (tfoaf) the graph would
be more complicated:

[foaf:mbox mailto:reto@gmuer.ch ] tfoaf:namingPeriod [tfoaf:lastName
"Gmür"].

The above graph is true at any point of time as it is entailed by the
following more comprehensive graph:

[foaf:mbox mailto:reto@gmuer.ch ]
    tfoaf:namingPeriod [tfoaf:lastName "Gmür", tfoaf:ends "2002-06-04],
    tfoaf:namingPeriod [tfoaf:lastName "Bachmann-Gmür", tfoaf:starts
"2002-06-04].

Whether to use an ontology describing a changing world or not depends on
the scope of the description. For many use-cases adding the temporal
dimension in the description would mainly make it less compact and
harder to use (for humans as well as for computers evaluating queries).

Rather than as a set of (named) graphs the semantic web can be seen as a
set of (named) changing graphs. Keeping tack of these changes is not
trivial as versioning systems are typically designed for text-files and
not for graphs. The result of a research project I did for HP labs is
the the Graph Versioning System GVS [2].

GVS keeps track of different graph-over-times and allows to get
aggregations of sets of these graphs for any point in time. GVS bases on
graph decomposition rather than quads which is better suitable for
threating b-nodes as existential variables, i.e. versioning the
expressed content rather than the triples [3].

Cheers,
Reto

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
2.