Re: [foaf-dev] Re: privacy and open data

On 25 Mar 2008, at 19:04, Story Henry wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2008, at 18:59, Julian Bond wrote:
>> Benjamin Nowack <bnowack@semsol.com> Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:51:08
>>> That's as simple and close to existing mechanisms as I could get it.
>>> Unlike OpenID and oAuth, there is no need for redirects, so
>>> RDFAuth works
>>> for non-browser agents, which was my main requirement.
>>
>> I feel like I'm missing something here. oAuth was built
>> specifically to enable non-browser agents and non-UI applications
>> to have good authentication. And it feels like you're re-inventing
>> oAuth. And I'm not sure why.
>
> Well I may be reinventing it because its obvious. Which would be
> good :-)
> Let me check it out, since it comes up again and again.

Ok, so I read the initial incomplete getting-started documentation on
oAuth, and quickly perused the spec. There are parts that are
interesting and may be useful, and also I may have missed some
important bits. My initial feeling is that oAuth could be a lot better
if it made use of Linked Data [1].

Just from reading the getting started documentation I had the
following reservations:

  - I am not looking for one time authorisation to access resources,
which is what oAuth provides.
  - A client such as the Beatnik Address Book is not a web client. It
is a Semantic Web client. So the User Agent is a consumer of data, not
of human readable content. oAuth seems to be designed for reading
human consumable web pages. The human reading the site has a few
things to read, then gets redirected, then enters his password in his
old site, then gets redirected again. As a result his pictures that
belonged to one site now appear in another web site, ...
  - I have a feeling that the oAuth protocol is a pairwise protocol.
It seems that every site has to get into a contract with every other
web site they want to do business with for this to work. I don't see
this scaling as it is. Perhaps with semantic help it could.

What I am looking for is even simpler than oAuth at the first level. I
want simply the server to be able to decide what representation to
return to a user. The user is initially (usually) not identified. So
the resource should know how to return a default representation, and
let the client know that more information is available. If the user
identifies himself then more information is made available. What the
server decides to make available or not is not of interest here.
Presumably the server has a notion of groups and a notion of
information that can be made available to members of these groups.

Since the best way to identify a user is with a URI, a la foaf, we
should use a URI identifier. Note, this need not be a person. It could
also be a foaf:Agent. In order to help make sure that the user is who
he says he is, he encrypts a string (eg. the uri of the requested
resource appended with a nonce) with a pgp private key that is
available from his identifier. (use of linked data)

I don't think one can do simpler than that.

Now on top of that I can imagine a service like oAuth being built.  So
let us give the Beppa eco friendly printing site a foaf file

http://beppa.com/#company

which could be encoded in rdfa in the html of the front page. [2]

then what is needed would be a way for beppa to ask to be added to a
group which gives short term access to resources belonging to another
agent (why not identify him via his foaf id?). This seems to be all
that oAuth is doing. Once that is settled, we are back to our very
simple use case described above. Beppa could then ask for the
resources by identifying itself as beppa, and the server could then
return the correct representations. So it seems one could build one on
top of the other.

So from what I have read at present I think at first what is needed is
just the very simple protocol a la RDFAuth that was mentioned
previously. More complex services can be built on to of that.

Does that sounds right? Have I missed something important?

	Henry

[1] http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/hyperdata_and_folktologies
[2] http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/a_foaf_file_for_sun