From: "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
To: "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: "SWIG" <semantic-web@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:24 PM
Subject: Vultures Re: what happened to schemaweb.info?

Hi Danny
> ... another one the name of which escapes me - something like Vultures?  (pretty sure it isn't that, but it'd make a
> cool name for some kind of harvester - what is the carrion of the web?).

Of course it was Falcons, but indeed vultures would make a better
metaphor. First because they are scavengers, and we badly need that
given all the rotten stuff around, and second because they have a cool
collective strategy to get at it. Vultures monitor a quite large
territory from above, and at the same time the behavior of their
neighbouring fellows. So if one moves down to a prey, the guys next door
follow inwards and downwards, and the information propagates quickly to
friends of friends.  Social semantic web, sort of. :-)
Falcons are not that kind of social birds (neither are owls). They hunt
individually, for themselves and families at best. Good parents,
not-so-good neighbours.

Bernard

--

*Bernard Vatant