Re: Domain model wiki tool?

Interestingly enough, this was the subject of our New York Semantic Web Meetup last night, with presentations made by:

Yaron Koren ( http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms ) on his related plugins to enable what you're asking about,
and
Sergey Chernyshev ( http://www.techpresentations.org/Main_Page ) with some implementations.

Yaron has a new service that could be of interest (I'm not listing here because I'm not sure he's released it yet) - but I'm sure he'd elaborate on for you if you like.

Regards,
Eric

(Full thread included below, for benefit of semweb-25 readers)

Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:
Peter,

Try this:
http://aksw.org/Projects/OntoWiki

Best,
Richard

Denny Vrandečić <dvr@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
Besides the tools mentioned, you may also be interested in the CKC --
Collaborative Knowledge Construction -- Workshop that was held last year
at the WWW conference. Proceedings are online. Especially interesting is
the technical report on the CKC challenge results.

Cheers,
denny

Markus Krötzsch <mak@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

Maybe I can provide some further clarification. Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) [1]
is a semantic extension to MediaWiki, with its first target being to support
knowledge articulation in existing wikis (e.g. it is now supported by Wikia,
a major wiki-hosting service with 5000+ sites). This is why it focusses more
on instance data than on schematic (ontological) information.

SMW is based on OWL, but employs only a small fragment thereof (basically
property and class hierarchies, equalities, facts, as well as some more
complex queries that could be understood as OWL-class instance retrieval). It
does not support free-form RDF or OWL-Full-specific constructs. All data can
be obtained in OWL/RDF XML-serialisations, and we also will soon supply
direct RDF store bindings that would then provide SPARQL interfaces. Binding
SMW to an OWL-reasoner that maintains further (more complex) schematic data
would also be possible with that architecture -- a first prototype for that
was already realised some time ago [2]. We envision to further extend SMW
with more powerful OWL constructs, but usability and computability is of
course not so easy to achieve in a light-weight web context. Tractable
fragments of OWL, as discussed in the OWL1.1 context, are therefore our main
target formalism.

Regards,
Markus

[1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org
[2]
http://korrekt.org/page/Reusing_Ontological_Background_Knowledge_in_Semantic_Wikis

Valentin Zacharias <Zacharias@fzi.de> wrote:
in addition to the SemanticMediaWiki (which is probably the most mature and
surely the best known and most widely used) there are a number of other
Semantic Wikis, such as IkeWiki[1], PlatypusWiki[2], OntoWiki[3] or - still
very much in development but nice looking -  myOntology[4]. Freebase[5] is a
commercial service going in a similar direction. From your short description
about the kind of tool you are looking for, i think that OntoWiki most
closely matches that.

There are also other tools that are not so closely modeled after the
traditional wiki-UI, that also support web-based collaborative creation of
domain models. The soboleo[6] system for example allows the collaborative
creation of SKOS taxonomies and has a realtime-collaborative ajax editor to
support building the taxonomy. The ImageNotion[7] system supports the
end-user driven creation of domain models for image annotation and
retrieval.

cu
valentin

[1]: http://ikewiki.salzburgresearch.at/
[2]: http://platypuswiki.sourceforge.net/
[3]: http://aksw.org/Projects/OntoWiki
[4]: http://www.myontology.org/
[5]: http://www.freebase.com/
[6]: http://www.soboleo.com/
[7]: http://www.imagenotion.com/

--
email: zacharias@fzi.de
phone: +49-721-9654-806

FZI  Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, 76131 Deutschland, http://www.fzi.de
SdbR, Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe

Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com> wrote:
Semantic Mediawiki uses basic templates to produce rdf. I could see it
being applicable, although whether it maps nicely to the way OWL
ontologies are set out would have to be discovered. There is no reason
why the ontology couldn't logically be produced as OWL files are based
on RDF which is reportedly fully supported.

Cheers,
Peter Ansell

Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi!

The semantic web has some interesting implications for us. One is the
focus on being specific with what you mean when you make statements
about things. Previously, this work was implicitly done by software
developers in an organization (in code). With semantic web technology,
this work can be moved to where it belongs - to the domain experts.

I have been looking for tools to help domain experts create models of
their domain in a way that hides the gory details of OWL et al. One
thing that would be very powerful is a domain model wiki tool where
page templates had some predefined fields that mapped to OWL. This
would allow multiple domain experts to contribute their knowledge into
a domain model, ready for publication on the web.

Does anyone know of such a tool? I guess I am looking for a simpler
web based multi-user version of Protege.

Regards,
Peter Krantz

http://www.peterkrantz.com - blog
http://eurlex.nu - unofficial experimental RDFa version of European law