Re: [SMW-devel] Domain model wiki tool?

On Freitag, 14. März 2008, Peter Ansell wrote:
> On 14/03/2008, Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Hi!
> >
> >  The semantic web has some interesting implications for us. One is the
> >  focus on being specific with what you mean when you make statements
> >  about things. Previously, this work was implicitly done by software
> >  developers in an organization (in code). With semantic web technology,
> >  this work can be moved to where it belongs - to the domain experts.
> >
> >  I have been looking for tools to help domain experts create models of
> >  their domain in a way that hides the gory details of OWL et al. One
> >  thing that would be very powerful is a domain model wiki tool where
> >  page templates had some predefined fields that mapped to OWL. This
> >  would allow multiple domain experts to contribute their knowledge into
> >  a domain model, ready for publication on the web.
> >
> >  Does anyone know of such a tool? I guess I am looking for a simpler
> >  web based multi-user version of Protege.
> >
> >  Regards,
> >
> >  Peter Krantz
>
> Semantic Mediawiki uses basic templates to produce rdf. I could see it
> being applicable, although whether it maps nicely to the way OWL
> ontologies are set out would have to be discovered. There is no reason
> why the ontology couldn't logically be produced as OWL files are based
> on RDF which is reportedly fully supported.

Maybe I can provide some further clarification. Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) [1]
is a semantic extension to MediaWiki, with its first target being to support
knowledge articulation in existing wikis (e.g. it is now supported by Wikia,
a major wiki-hosting service with 5000+ sites). This is why it focusses more
on instance data than on schematic (ontological) information.

SMW is based on OWL, but employs only a small fragment thereof (basically
property and class hierarchies, equalities, facts, as well as some more
complex queries that could be understood as OWL-class instance retrieval). It
does not support free-form RDF or OWL-Full-specific constructs. All data can
be obtained in OWL/RDF XML-serialisations, and we also will soon supply
direct RDF store bindings that would then provide SPARQL interfaces. Binding
SMW to an OWL-reasoner that maintains further (more complex) schematic data
would also be possible with that architecture -- a first prototype for that
was already realised some time ago [2]. We envision to further extend SMW
with more powerful OWL constructs, but usability and computability is of
course not so easy to achieve in a light-weight web context. Tractable
fragments of OWL, as discussed in the OWL1.1 context, are therefore our main
target formalism.

Regards,

Markus

[1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org