Re: About computer-optimized RDF format.

On 25 Jul 2008, at 09:45, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:

>>> Many in that thread, except you, agree with me.
>>
>> So?
>>
>>>   (I waded in 20 messages or so, until it was waist deep in
>>> epistemology.)  You make good points, but don't convince me that
>>> my comment above is wrong, at least in a wide range of applications.
>>
>> The burden of proof is on you, not me. This is true inherently (as
>> you are making a very strong claim) and in particular here (since
>> I've provided rather detailed argument and you just got your bald
>> assertion).
> The burden of proof is shared I think.  Existence of a status quo
> doesn't automatically justify itself when discrepancies are pointed
> out.

I think you are working in different dialectics. In that discussion
(and thus, I think, in this list) there has been no plausible
evidence that RDF is better than XML in terms of model evolution or
convergance resulting in invariant queries.

Tim Glover made the best attempt to show otherwise, e.g.,
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Jul/0046.html

But I think it was amply refuted (not just by me).

I tried to distill some of this:
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Jul/0098.html

(It seems similar to the EXI fidelity considerations.)

In other words, I am *not* resting on automatic justification of
anything. There have been detailed arguments and, at the moment,
there nothing plausible left standing that RDF is inherently or
practically more flexibly or clear. At the moment, I lean toward
"it's a matter of taste, temperament, experience, infrastructure,
*and* task".

>   Practically though, you're right.  Certainly I and any co-
> conspirators that I may have need to provide prove this better.
[snip]

Or at all. Seriously. (This isn't about binary formats, it's about
RDF vs. XML.)

Unless you can really build a good case I think it's very
counterproductive to sell RDF this way. Even then, I'd be super leary
about strong claims.

Cheers,
Bijan.