RE: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

> From: Bijan Parsia [mailto:bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk]
>
> On Jul 9, 2008, at 9:42 PM, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
> [snip]
> >> I don't know how you determine which is the "real" mistake.
> >
> > By reading the semantics of RDF and OWL:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/
>
> I'm not sure why you think there's any dispute about the formal
> semantics. The point is that it might do more (or other) than people
> might expect, need, or want.

Perhaps I misunderstood you when you said: 'I don't know how you determine which is the "real" mistake'.  I thought you were implying that one could just as well interpret your example:

>> E.g., If I say someTerm dc:creator "Bijan" and someone else
>> someOtherTerm dc:creator "BoogerHead Jones", and then we say that
>> someTerm sameAs someOtherTerm, we've (semantically) lost the
>> distinguish between who created what.

as a misuse of owl:sameAs or a misuse of dc:creator, and I was pointing out that, no, according to my understanding of the RDF and OWL semantics documents, one could *not* just as well view this as a misuse of owl:sameAs: the misuse (if there is one) is clearly of dc:creator.

> And, well, that was some silly referencing wasn't it? I mean, it's
> entirely non specific (no subsection; no quote). And you know I know
> about those documents. So I'm not sure your point.

No, it was not silly.  The point was to be clear about what documents I meant.  I was not intending to refer to any particular section or quote.  I am well aware that *you* know about those documents, but I consider it a matter of good list etiquette to at least make an attempt to be clear to other readers also.

> Plus, there are several semantics in there with somewhat different
> properties.
>
> >> Typically, people mean that to be an annotation (e.g., myClass
> >> dc:creator "Bijan"). You can argue that the annotation system is
> >> broken (I've done that), but that really just pushes things around.
> >
> > Well if we're arguing that the semantics of owl:sameAs should not
> > be diluted, then I would think we should first take as a given that
> > the semantics of RDF should not be diluted.
>
> I didn't argue anything about that. I pointed out that sameAs isn't
> typically what is *wanted* (because of annotation smushing, but as
> easily because of definition smooshing).

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "annotation smushing" or "definition smooshing" -- examples would be very helpful.  Can you show some others?

But the argument that "Typically, people mean that to be an annotation" (in reference to the above example), sounds a lot like it is trying to justify a dilution of the RDF semantics in the case of this kind of "annotation" example merely because people misuse it that way.  And I don't think it would make sense to do that, just as I don't think we should dilute the semantics of owl:sameAs.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.