Re: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2008, at 22:57, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>
>> I haven't been following the "deprecate URIs" thread, so forgive me if
>> I'm being repetitious.
>> 1. everything is contextual.  But that's no excuse for being sloppy
>> with meanings.
>> 2. ambiguity is not inevitable -- it is avoided by clearly identifying
>> context.
>> 2. OWL:SameAs (like mKR:is) means identical -- two names (aliases)
>> which mean the same thing.  Let's not corrupt the meaning of this term.
>
> +500000
>
> I keep meaning to start a thread against the mapping use of sameAs. It
> causes a lot of issues as you move to greater expressivity.

There was recently an extensive thread about it,
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008May/0078.html
"Managing co-reference".

I keep meaning to engage more with that, because I'm also worried about
seeing the vividly crisp meaning of owl:sameAs weakened to mean "kinda
sorta mostly same-ish thing, for most purposes".  The idea floating for
an 'rdf:sameAs' also filled me with dread.

Call me old fashioned, but owl:sameAs means what it means as defined in
the OWL specs. If people are going to miss-use it, I'd rather they did
so by admitting they're publishing possibly-false-claims, than by trying
to stretch and bend it to have some new "as used in real life" vaguer
meaning.

cheers,

Dan

--