Re: No universal things Re: comparing XML and RDF data models

On Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:45 PM, Bijan wrote:
My official position, scarily enough, is that you don't need a  definite
metaphysical view in order to build good ontologies ;)

On Thursday, July 03, 2008 12:52 PM, Bernard wrote:
> If you think my statement is senseless, feel free to explain why, as Alan
> took the time to do.

Bernard and Bijan,

Your ''official'' position, hope hardly prescribed by the W3 Consortium
office, falls into a category of bad intellectual fashion: to see the world
as ontologically unreal. There is a bunch of people who dreams that reality,
nature, truth, experience, all key ontological, physical and biological
entities as well as mathematical objects, together with evidence, document,
proof, etc. are socially constructed. They also claim that nature itself as
all its scientific constructs, natural laws and properties as energy and
mass, all are culturally contingent, or home-made. For their unofficial
position, these folks got a funny name, ''strong social constructionists''.
They go so far as to make such declarations as ''everything is constructed,
from the universe to quarks'', ''nothing is given'', ''nothing comes from
itself'', ''no natural facts, only social facts'', ''the truth is
convertible with the made'', ''no questions, no knowledge'', ''no
explanations, only representations''; or as your claims, ''no descriptions,
no things'' , ''realism is naive''. As a bad consequence, both knowledge and
meaning are viewed as an invention, artefact, interpretation, or rather a
fiction of human minds. And information is defined as processed data that
have meanings created by its users.
There was a IFIP task force, dedicated to socialy create ''the ontological
framework of information systems concepts'', assuming that ''things are
conceptions'' (see the FRISCO report to grok what you get with an inadequate
ontological mentality,
http://cs-exhibitions.uni-klu.ac.at/index.php?id=445).  Browsing the report,
one may see the consequences of such an epistemic malady for information
sciences and computing systems.
Although now fashionable, this mindset brings more harm than good for your
intelligent minds and hence would-be intelligent applications. The right
answer to the question, if meaning (as quarks) is socially constructed, i.e.
unreal, or it is determined by the nature of things, i.e. a real phenomenon,
will make all the difference for the whole cause of semantic machines.
Sum-up: The simple truth is the semantic web is ultimately about effective
machine representation of the categorical (mathematical) structure of
reality (world ontology) by computing tools and semiotic means, as
mechanical meaning making and meaning signifying. But in no way, this
ontological artifact is just a pure construction of some visionary or a mere
result of social interactions of individual minds.

regards,
Azamat Abdoullaev
http://www.eis.com.cy

PS: A systematic account about reality, its ontological structure,
representation, meaning, encyclopedic knowledge systems, and real semantic
web one can find in the Universal Ontology book,
http://www.igi-global.com/books/details.asp?id=7641;
http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Universal-Ontology-Knowledge-Systems/dp/159904966X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215177153&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books-uk&field-author=Azamat%20Abdoullaev&page=1