Re: Patents to be Auctioned

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:15:16PM +0000, Renato Golin wrote:
> Everything I did personally (and now professionaly) is GPL or more recently
> my blog and wiki is Creative Commons which in essesnce means that it's free
> to use, change, copy but not sell and always link to the original source.

I assume from this that you mean CC-BY-NC. The GPL does not restrict
commercial use and in fact specifically defends the right for anyone
to use the work in any way whatsoever.

I would advise against the non-commercial clause because it prevents
non-profit organisations like Debian from including your work because
in turn they would have to restrict redistributers charging for CDs or
other physical copies of your digital work. Preventing free software
distributions from selling CDs would be exceptionally harmful.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman