Re: HTTP URIs for real world objects

Hi Peter:

 > I speak mainly because there are some editors on wikipedia who would
 > prefer not to have semantic markup on pages because it makes them ugly

First - using Wikipedia URIs as identfiers for concepts on the Semantic
Web does not necessarily imply that anything is asserted about these
URIs formally. (The Wikipedia page for John Lennon describes clearly
enough which conceptual entity (i.e., John Lennon) it refers to, and the
only ambiguity that may arise in this context is whether this URI refers
to (1) the Wikipedia documents as an information resource or (2) the
dead person John Lennon as a non-information resource. This, however,
can be resolved easily by opening up a new namespace reserved for the
respective non-information resources and creating a derived URI for each
Wikipedia URI in this space e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_lennon ->

http://en.wikipedia.org/ontology/John_lennon)

DBpedia IDs may also serve this purpose.

So even without expanding Wikipedia, we can harvest the enormous amount
of identifiers with a human-readable definition for weaving the Semantic
Web. It is likely the largest set of consensual identifiers for
conceptual entities in the world.

 > Wikipedia also does not create concepts until there is a sufficient
 > amount of "reliably published" information about them, and if they are
 > of no interest to people outside of the immediate community.

I disagree, and I have data to support my claim: We have shown in the
IEEE Internet Computing paper [1] that the vast amount of Wikipedia URIs
keeps on referring to the same meaning from the initial page to the most
recent one. So they are not constantly changing. Sometimes the meaning
broadens (e.g. if a page turns into aa disambiguation page, which can be
understood as a superconcept of the original one).

In short, we found the following:

- More than 92 % of all 1.8 Mio. URIs we analyzed showed a stable
meaning, i.e., they kept on referring to the same meaning.

- About 6.7% had a slight but not dramatic change in meaning so that the
current definition was broader than the original one. This would still
not invalidate earlier annotations of Web content. Most of these turned
into disambiguation pages. (Our paper contains more details on that)

So the amount of Wikipedia URIs that is not reliable as identifiers is
extremely small - the population estimate is between 0.66 and 0.89
%(depending on whether we are using the Laplace or Wilson method). I bet
that even centrally administered vocabularies will show inconsistencies
in this order of magnitude.

 > I would be inclined to keep the new and constantly changing
 > identifiers within an organisations intranet-wiki and then publish
 > their relationships to outside identifiers when they become
 > accepted/published/interesting to outsiders.

Postponing the official use of new identifiers just means making our
vocabulary lack identifiers for novel concepts. Also, there is no better
way of getting identifiers "accepted" than by encouraging other to try
to use them in their communication. (We find the same pattern in human
language - new terms get established by usage, not by standardization.)

Also, it does not hurt if Wikipedia provides URIs for topics that are
relevant for a small community only. Still, it is better if there is a
single namespace and infrastructure for those (I don't see any gain
spreading those over numerous intranet-Wikis).

Best
Martin

[1] http://www.heppnetz.de/harvesting-wikipedia/

martin hepp, http://www.heppnetz.de