Re: plural vs singular properties (a proposal)

On Jan 5, 2008, at 3:16 PM, Garret Wilson wrote:

> Garret Wilson wrote:
>> How does RDF justify repeated properties?
>
> Sorry, maybe I would have been clearer if I would have said,
> "multivalued properties", in which a property appears multiple
> times for the same resource but with different values, e.g.
>
> <rdf:Description>
>  <dc:subject>semantic web</dc:subject>
>  <dc:subject>database</dc:subject>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> This is an area of conflict with the relational model, and I'm
> wondering how RDF justifies this.

It's not a conflict. consider the following table version (let's give
the blank node an indentifier, ex:foo; blank nodes *are* a departure,
but one well handled by "naive" tables or "codd" tables as they are
known in the literature). First row are the column headers:

ID            dc:subject
ex:foo     semantic web
ex:foo     database

This a perfectly fine relational table (to be a bit loose in
terminology). What wouldn't be is:

ID            dc:subject
ex:foo     semantic web
ex:foo     semantic web
ex:foo     database

Since this is a bag not a set. In SQL systems, you do have to deal
with the fact of bags (hence the keyword DISTINCT).

So, short answer: This isn't a *duplicate* row. It's two rows.

Cheers,
Bijan.