Re: plural vs singular properties (a proposal)

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:23:44 -0500
Cc: SWIG <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>

On Jan 5, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Garret Wilson wrote:

> Frank Manola wrote:
>> In a graph of triples, there are as many relations as far as
>> *semantics* are concerned as there are distinct predicates
>> included in those triples (not one per resource, as you had it
>> earlier).
>
> When I was describing relations based upon Date's interpretation, I
> spoke incorrectly; I should have said "one relation per resource
> type" (e.g. <foaf.Person>).

Date's interpretation, though, is independent of the relational
design involved.  That is, his interpretation of what a relation
means applies whether your design calls for a single Person relation
(with a whole bunch of columns describing each person), or a design
that, due to normalization requirements, involves breaking the
description of a person up into multiple relations, e.g., a separate
relation for associating each person with his/her relatives, or his/
her hobbies (this is an example of your multiple properties).