Re: plural vs singular properties (a proposal)

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:55:00 -0500
Cc: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>, SWIG <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Frank Manola <fmanola@acm.org>

Garret--

On further thought, I think my comments about the "triple" relation
may have gotten us off on a tangent.  The "triple" relation is a
notation intended to convey certain relational semantics, namely
those of binary relations (according to the translation rule I cited
from RDF Semantics), but including the predicate name in the triple,
rather than "outside":  e.g., in RDF you imagine a relation that
looks like

triple(#john ex:name "Smith")

rather than

ex:name(#john, "Smith")

the latter being the "purer" relational (or logic) version.  I don't
see that anything terribly complicated is going on here.  In the
actual RDF, all you have in hand is #john ex:name "Smith" (a triple),
and the RDF semantics talks about the "triple" relation as being
"notional".

In a graph of triples, there are as many relations as far as
*semantics* are concerned as there are distinct predicates included
in those triples (not one per resource, as you had it earlier).  Does
this help?

--Frank