Re: Call for Comments: SKOS Primer: W3C Working Draft 21 February 2008

I had this message several times. To ignore it might look impolite. Some
brief comments on two basic assumptions.

I.  ''SKOS — Simple Knowledge Organisation System — provides a model for
expressing the basic structure and content of concept schemes such as
thesauri, classification schemes, subject heading lists, taxonomies,
folksonomies, and other types of controlled vocabulary.''

Here is a confusion of different entities: constructs and words (terms).
Besides, it is the domain of global ontology to cover all sorts of
controlled vocabulary. No need to invent the SKOS.

 II. ''The fundamental element of the SKOS vocabulary is the concept.
Concepts denote ideas or meanings that are the units of thought [Willpower
Glossary] which underly the KOSs used in a number of applications
[SKOS-UCR]. As such, concepts exist in the mind as abstract entities which
are independent of the terms used to label them.''

Here is a bad misunderstanding of the nature of semantics and its basic
notions; namely:

1. Vocabulary is a listing of words or the system of symbols and techniques,
and hardly it is a conceptual system.

2. No ''concepts denote ideas or meanings''. There is general semantic rule:
some symbols (signs) designate, while all constructs mean something in the
world. Then, symbols (or signs) designate constructs (ideas, concepts,
propositions, or theories), whereas the constructs mean real things. So the
ideas are expressed by words, which signify the real entities to be named.
Thus the meanings of ideas are signified by words, not by concepts. We say
significance of the symbol and the meaning of the construct, what might be
equivalent.

3. There are words (signs, symbols, terms, codes) which signify only things
in the world or only the ideas in the mind or both ideas and things.

4. Concept is the unit construct, and the construct covers concept
(individual, class, relation), proposition, context, and theory.

Summing up:

If somebody is striving for semantic web, he must have a good learning about
the nature of meaning
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_%28linguistic%29 ) and the modes of
signification ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign)determined by the kinds of
things signified and the kinds of things which signify (signs, symbols,
codes, terms, words).

azamat abdoullaev

more on semantics see
http://www.igi-pub.com/books/details.asp?id=7641