Re: [semantic-web] <none>

Azamat:

You do not make one mistake that Saint R. made. You talk about your holiness only indirectly. That is some progress at least.

Now .....

There are two kinds of people but ... not the way you divide them up.

There is one kind who make no bones about how they earn a living. They exchange values to mutual benefit, with one overriding proviso. They never force anyone to buy their product. Both businessmen and scientists are in this category. The claims such people make are always limited to this governing condition ... The person buying my value believes he is better off than if he didn't buy it.  Otherwise, in a free market, he wouldn't buy it.

The second make a living by extracting values in an exchange for which there is no mutual consent. Businessmen and scientists are in that category, as well as most politicians. Their claim is somewhat different...  I am going to force you to buy my value at a price acceptable to me, whether you want it or not.

In the second group, known hereinafter as The Saints Who Walk Among Us (TSWWAU), there is a kind of general battle cry. .... I am doing this for the public good. I benefit all of mankind. I serve the people. All the while, their tenured existence is possible because of revenues that have no link to their output. Without the holier than thou rationalization, which does fool some people,  the sham might have to come to an end. Imagine universities where the professors would be forced to sell themselves and their ideas to students who would be willing to pay for the knowledge they acquire.

Saint R. makes a living ... or he would not survive. If he works for himself or for others where the discipline is of the first kind, then he is not "spending my time here because I think there
  will be money or a job or prizes in return".  He would be subject to the discipline that he must  produce daily in a way that he generates surplus value, for himself and for his customers.

I suspect, however, that I nailed Saint R.'s situation spot on. He works in some place where his pay cheque is not linked to his output. He eats food (grown by other men), at a table, (built by other men) and housed in a building (constructed by other men). And as long as he wishes, they will continue to work to provide his daily table.

Now ... where in that scenario, does he acquire the credentials to claim that property belonging to  people (who daily must be productive, to survive) is somehow not theirs.  Where does such arrogance come from? It comes not from accomplishment .... that we all know.

You say I misread what he tried to tell me?

I wrote about what he was not saying.  I don't take the claims of a human being that he is a saint to heart.  When a man cries repeatedly that he is honest, I know him to be something else. When a man says, "trust me", we all know that we should run.

All men, good and bad, come from the same clay as myself, including Saint R. For his own sake, he should admit that.

And the consequences of that self admission are stark. Saint R. (and all the silent wannabes) has to face his own fallibility. He may work for all mankind but unless his output meets the test of being exchangeable in a free market, it is suspect. Our history as men is full of failed experiments where the value of any output was never tested against a free market. Rather it was forced upon others. And what happens when ideas are forced upon others by the do gooders. Disaster.

Failure to test oneself against a free market, in exchange for one's daily bread is bad enough. but to claim, as Saint R. stood up to do,  that the property of productive people is somehow not theirs and have as your only credential that you sponge values away from others in exchange for nothing is what got me to send my emails.

I have followed this issue since the first notices were sent out years ago that RDF falls within an issued patent. So I got a copy of the patent and I read it. And I read the RDF specs. They are really quite similar.

The only answer that people come up with (other than the "I am holy, you are dirt" nonsense from Saint R.) is that it is all invented before. Really????

Then answer me this, if you can.

If it was all there before, why spend over 10 years since Oct of 1997, debating the RDF standard that was created over 2.5 years previous to that. If it was all there, neatly organized, why not just go down to the local convenience store and pick up a six pack of it for two dollars.

The answer to that - which is the answer that no one wants to admit - is that it was NOT invented before. There may have been some spurious hints but no one made the connection until the good folks who own the patent. And since they filed their patent in late 1994 - before the MCF was invented by Guha at Apple in 1995 ... which is what Netscape worked on for a year before they sent it to W3 in January of 1997 - seems to me you have to admit one of two things.

1)    Everyone at the W3 has engaged in a sham, inventing 50 times over what has already been invented a hundred years ago... or

2)    you have all been working on something which is not yours.

There is only one way out and Saint R. has come up with that alternative - all patents are invalid.

Good luck with that one.

JM