From: Ioachim Drugus <sw@semanticsoft.net>
Subject: Re: semantic technology solutions for mulitlinginal sites - OR 'semantic  browsers'?
To: "Jens Lehmann" <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org, linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu
Date: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 7:19 PM

Greetings,

I believe, this is going to be one of the largest industries based on Semantic Web but multi-lingusitic web will have a slighly different architecture. Here are several ideas which might be useful.

If a sentence in a natural language "makes sense" , then the human
interpreter first builds this sense (meaning) in mind,  then he/she articulates it into another language. Human translation involves two processes: (1) building the sense of the source language expressions, and (2) articulating this sense into the target language

Technologically, I treat sense as Semantic Web content. Therefore, a alongside regular text, site builders can scribble in Semantic Web languages the sense of the text, and an *articulation engine* for a natural language will convey this sense into that natural language.

I would say a *semantic browser*  to be a web agent which comes with
articulation engines for various natural languages and applies the engine for the desired natural language to SemanticWeb content to transform it into a text or speech. I believe the "multi-linguistics" should be on the client side.

Therefore, I treat the 'multi-lingual sites' as a matter of building
*articulation engines* as plugged-ins for browsers. Currently there exist
thousands of ontologies with domain specific knowledge and only technical people can read them. Semantic browsers are the most needed tools to make Semantic Web a democratic phenomenon.

If there is a project somewhere on this, we here would be happy to participate - I think, I have some knowledge of how to build an articulation engine.
Ioachim,

Ioachim Drugus, Ph.D.
Main Software Architect,
SemanticSoft, Inc.