Re: [ontolog-forum] Last call documents for OWL 2 specificationavailable - review and comments solicited

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:14 AM, Alan wrote:
"I am looking for comments on all aspects of the specification, and in
particular comments as to how understandable the specification is, any
comments on new features, as well as any inconsistencies or errors."

Just some short comments to some key OWL2 claims:
1. Partiality. The data type model, the logical basis of OWL 2, seemingly
pasted from Motik's paper, is too partial and too formal and too logical, no
real semantic functions and corresponding rules, See Reality, Universal
Ontology...;
2. Misplacement of categories, the logical entities for the ontological
entities. See Ontopaedia."OWL 2 allows for annotations of ontologies,
ontology entities (classes, properties, and individuals), anonymous
individuals, axioms, and other annotations. Annotations of all these types,
however, have no semantic meaning in OWL 2 and are ignored in this document
(Direct Semantics). http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-semantics-20081008/
3. Inconsistency. "OWL 2 ontologies consist of the following three different
syntactic categories: entities (classes, properties, individuals), class
expressions, axioms. http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-syntax-20081008/

I haven't read all the sequel but have an impression that OWL 0 was tended
to be more consistent and comprehensive and less formal logical. It is good
to remember that the SW is a web of data about the world, and that the SW's
ontological language is designed to describe how the data relates to the
real world entities, http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/.

With sincere intentions to better your project,
Azamat Abdoullaev
EIS Encyclopedic Intelligent System LTD
http://www.eis.com.cy