Re: objects to facts to links to LOD to ???

Hi,

I'm not sure about the discovery part - that seems to be more a meta-
layer with data describing linked datasets (VoiD [1]). However, I
agree that inference would have to be in layer 4 and up. Things like
non-explicit object consolidation, vocabulary and ontology mapping,
etc. will be necessary to integrate the data even beyond the point of
explicit links.

@ravinder: I like the three layers you propose - is there a reference
for that, or did you come up with it just now? I'd love to reference
it in my PhD thesis!

Cheers,
Knud

[1] http://semanticweb.org/wiki/VoiD
On 15.12.2008, at 20:54, Juan Sequeda wrote:

> Hi Ravinder,
>
> Interesting points. I would say that Layer 4 would be "discovery".
> Furthermore, this would be an inference layer that would allow
> discovery. After having linked data, applications will be able to
> discover new data. So maybe layer 4 and up are part of the
> applications that enable discovery. Anyways, that is what I see what
> the semantic web is about: discovery and serendipity.
>
> Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
> Dept. of Computer Sciences
> The University of Texas at Austin
> www.juansequeda.com
> www.semanticwebaustin.org
>

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM, रविंदर ठाकुर (ravinder thakur) <ra
> vinderthakur@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>

> We have now reasonably good repository of linked data but i am not
> able to find any good application being made out of it. From the
> dicsussion on these mailing lists and other places, i got the
> feeling that everyone in semantic world thinks that semantic web is
> something big but unfortunately nobody is able to think of an
> application for _general public_ that can be based on semantic web
> data we have currently.
>

> This led me to wonder that are there any more layers of information
> organization missing in the semantic web stack that are needed to
> generate good usable semantic web data which can be more useful for
> generating useful semantic apps . Few of the concepts i was thinking
> for upper layers to implement were like categorization, set
> formation(eg MIT passout in 2002), set intersection, etc. With these
> higher level layers I was hoping to build a system to find higher
> level relations say between places with low cancer rates and the
> food people eat there or any perticular gene found in such people.
>

> The current semantic stack looks like this:
> layer5 (???)
> layer4 ( ???)
> layer3 linked facts (isa(mars,planet) AND partof(mars,solarsystem)
> AND mass(mars,6566.1255kg))
> layer2 facts (isa(mars,planet), isa(cow,animal))
> layer1 objects (eg cow, mars, man)
>

> Are there any other thoughts on the need of layers above the layer 3
> (linked data ) or these layers will be defined by the respective
> apps developers ? Even if there isn't any need, i would atleast like
> to have a discussion on the kind upper level layers we might need :)
>

> thanks
> ravinder thakur

Knud Möller, MA
+353 - 91 - 495086
Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
National University of Ireland, Galway
Institiúid Taighde na Fiontraíochta Digití
Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh