Re: units and durations

Dear Henry,

El mié, 10-12-2008 a las 16:33 +0100, Story Henry escribió:
> > See:
> > http://idi.fundacionctic.org/muo/muo-vocab.html
>
> Very thorough work but it makes the mistakes described here
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/InterpretationProperties
>
> So for example his example
>
> http://forge.morfeo-project.org/wiki_en/index.php/Units_of_measurement_ontology
>
> :Spain :area [ muo:numericalValue "504782"^^xsd:double ;
>                 muo:measuredIn :Sq_Km ] .
>

> will when merged with the following which represents the same area
>
> :Spain :area [ muo:numericalValue "504782000000"^^xsd:double ;
>                 muo:measuredIn :Sq_m ] .
> give the useless
> :Spain :area [ muo:numericalValue "504782"^^xsd:double ;
>                 muo:numericalValue "504782000000"^^xsd:double ;
>                 muo:measuredIn :Sq_m;
>                 muo:measuredIn :Sq_Km ] .
>
> if the :area relation is considered to be functional, which it should
> very well be considered to be.
> A better solution is found here:
> http://www.w3.org/2007/ont/unit

We are aware of this issue with OWL functional properties. It was
discussed during the SWIG f2f meeting at Mandelieu. We are researching
how to make compatible the basic foundations of qualities and quales
(that are the inpiration for MUO) and the semantics of DL functional
properties. Actually, we were awaiting to come up with a satisfactory
solution for this issue before preparing the member submission to W3C.

We would be pleased to futher discuss this issue, probably in a separate
thread.

Best,

--
Diego Berrueta