Re: The next Internet giant: linking open data, providing open access to repositories

I tend to disagree on this

" the scale of the data sets that currently exist and will ultimately
grow to become, the "download and index" philosophy of the World Wide
Web will not so easily map over to the Semantic Web."

Does google have any visible limits? using the proper indexing
technology for the Semantic Web gives you the same results. (Note,
forget global SPARQL of course).

In its little, Sindice has no theoretical limit in the amount of
triples it can index, maintaining its query speed, given a sufficient
hardware (approx linear in size of the increase in query number and/or
data size) and well known software plumbing tricks.

So the problem is really not native dataset (bring them on!) but wrappers.

 On the Semantic web there can be countless useful wrapper and data
transformers which can produce billions of virtual triples as
transformation of some other data sources.
These should not be indexed in brute force mode, probably, as in
"triples" but probably identified as such and indexed for the service
they provide "i give you some pictures in RDF using flickr.. so dont
harvest me even if i look like linked data but invoke me when needed".

But then this becomes complex and somewhat feels arbitrary and one
quickly starts thinking of some other matter.

Giovanni