Re: URIs and Unique IDs

Another good example in science terminolog evolving  is the recent change in
definition of 'planet' which now excludes Pluto.
People want to use the same term 'planet', and so they should be able to.

This can work fine, as long as there is a different URI. This will also
allow legacy applications that use the old definition of planet to be used
alongside newer applications w/o any semantic interference.

If the  new URI is somehow linked to the old URI then this can have
advantages. E.g. some applications may always want to use the most recent
version, and this would be easily accomplished.

Michael

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:45 PM, John Graybeal <graybeal@mbari.org> wrote:

> Correct in every respect but the 'you' part. :->  I would reframe the
> situation as follows: I am working with people who define the terms used for
> their data sets. Those people are (a) unfamiliar with ontologies, and (b)
> unaware of 'meaning creep' even as they are creating it via their revised
> definitions.  I'm not sure if these details affect your assessment, but this
> application, as described below, seems very different to me than "I want to
> supervise the creation of a community ontology for a domain."
>
> Rather, I want to use ontological methods to let community members use or
> refer to (relatively) unambiguous terms -- terms that they have defined,
> possibly with a large community, and possibly that they have mapped to other
> concepts. They are not building rich domain ontologies, merely capturing
> their local or community understanding. So I'm thinking my choices are
> either: (a) assign them a new opaque URI assuming the new concept is
> different, or (b) give them a versioned URI in case the new concept is
> different.
>
> The resource we are working with, as I see it, is this term of convenience
> (in this example, 'sea surface temperature'). They will define the term
> differently at different times. But the fact that their understanding of the
> concept has changed due to underlying technologies (even though to them the
> concept is 'unchanged' -- note that often the person updating the definition
> is not in a position to decide if the change is in fact significant) is very
> important
>
> I picked this example from a relatively stable science domain, but of
> course science domains in flux have faster meaning creep, as understanding
> evolves. Whether these actual changes are managed by changing opaque URIs,
> or changing version URIs while keeping a stable term fragment, should not
> impact how the semantic technologies can be applied. Or so I hope.
>
> John
>

> On Nov 26, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:17 PM, John Graybeal <graybeal@mbari.org> wrote:
>>
>> In our research community, on a regular basis you hear how important it is
>>> to know, as precisely as possible, the meaning of the parameters in a
>>> historical data collection. Whether or not "sea surface temperature"
>>> meant
>>> the temperature of water "collected somewhere near the surface and
>>> brought
>>> back on board", "measured in situ 1 meter below the surface", or
>>> "measured
>>> by a satellite" can significantly impact the temperature trend of a
>>> global
>>> ocean temperature analysis.
>>>
>>> Before you jump:  I appreciate that fundamentally these can be 3
>>> different
>>> concepts. My observation is that the people defining the terms don't