Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:09:25 +0200
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Cc: David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3c.org

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>> David Huynh wrote:

>>> Just for you, Kingsley, I have fixed it :-) You might need to
>>> shift-reload to get the latest code.
>>>
>>> I wasn't actually expecting such an intense reaction to just
>>> "javascript:{}". I wonder if that might put off newcomers, who
>>> believe that the slightest profanity against The URIs on this mailing
>>> list will always trigger such adverse reactions.
>>
>> Ah, we're an excitable bunch around here ;)
>>
>> Regardless of whether these data URLs are available, the UI work is
>> exciting and I'm glad you shared it with the W3C lists. If others have
>> smart ideas for visualising and navigating RDFesque datasets (whether
>> closed or open by various definitions), let me be clear: they're very
>> welcome to post them to semantic-web@w3.org. I hope our enthusiasm
>> hereabouts for open data doesn't discourage people for sharing
>> innovative UI ideas. We need all the help we can get! :)
>>
> Dan,
>
> I hope you understand my response to David was very much in the vein of
> "two-for-one" by taking what was a private discussion (between David and
> I) public for broader knowledge exchange and general discourse purposes.

Sure! No criticism intended (or hopefully, felt). I think generally the
culture around here is one of "hey, let us see the data!" and that's
pretty healthy. I just wanted to stress that people with other things to
contribute shouldn't mistakenly get the impression that their stuff is
somehow SemWeb-irrelevant just 'cos the data might not currently be
online at public URLs.

cheers,

Dan

--