Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:58:31 -0400
To: David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>
Cc: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3c.org

> I wasn't actually expecting such an intense reaction to just
> "javascript:{}". I wonder if that might put off newcomers, who believe
> that the slightest profanity against The URIs on this mailing list will
> always trigger such adverse reactions.

I think it's a bit like people driving on the correct side of the road.
On little dirt roads, who cares?  You drive to avoid the pot-holes and
low branches.  But to someone who is used to fast highways, seeing
someone drive on the wrong side of the road is (rightly) horrifying....

(This is not a crazy metaphor -- it's an example of the
context-dependent importance of adhering to standards, written and
unwritten.)

      -- Sandro