RE: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

Hi Kingsley,

> Is this an apropos or an insight addition?
>
> My entire position about Linked Data solutions is centered on "User
> Interaction".  Note, I said: "Visualizations are good, but graph
> visualizations are not the sole keys to the treasures that reside
> within
> a Graph".

True.

Well, my point was that I got the impression that you've characterized
David's interface as a graph visualizer. Which is, imho, not correct.

And I'd like to highlight the distinction between visualizations and
interaction models. The core of every interface is the interaction
model. On top of that, there might be specific visualizations.

The problem is that most graph UIs I know are based on the "one resource
at a time" interaction model. It's the interaction model of the current
web, where a resource is a web page, and users interact by looking at
one page (reading it), and browsing from one page to another. That
interaction model underlies all current linked data browsers (Tabulator,
Disco, etc.). Some UIs use a graph visualization on top, but the
interaction model remains the same. (As a side note, I think that
visualizing a data as a graph is useless. Why using a 2-dimensional
layout where both dimensions are undefined?)

But the real magic happens when you change to interaction model, and
users can interact with multiple resources at a time. David has shown
some excellent examples. Exhibit provided a faceted filtering
interaction for graph data. And Parallax now demonstrates a solution to
graph browsing.

> Give users the  "option" to use their own cognitive skills to interact
> with the data (e.g. pivot, project, and traverse based on their own
> specific needs).

Give users as few options as possible, and design them in a way, that
users do not have to use their cognitive skills.

> Programmers cannot acquire the domain expertise
> of an alien domain.

They should. Or at least have an interaction designer supporting them.

Best,
Georgi

--
Georgi Kobilarov