Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

From: David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:39:05 -0700
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
CC: public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3c.org

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> David,
>
> For purpose of clarity and broader discourse (I know we've been over
> this in private), what is the Linked Data and/or Semantic Web oriented
> value of this very cool visualization?
Hi Kingsley,

I apologize for the confusion. I actually didn't say "semantic web" or
"web of data" or "linked open data" in my first message. I simply
thought that the graph-based browsing paradigm of Parallax might be
useful on RDF, which is graph-like. Dbpedia, for example, is a huge
graph of billions of triples, and as far as I'm aware, it's hard to
explore Dbpedia.

And there has been very similar UI research on browsing graphs, such as
Georgi's Humboldt, which I missed out as I wasn't able to attend WWW
2008 :-( Well, at least I had a chance to discuss with him on the Simile
mailing list before.

But if you would still like to understand the relevance to Linked Data /
SW, then may I point you to third parties who have tried to ask/answer
that question:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/collaboration/?p=131
       (the talkback comments are also valuable)

    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/freebase_parallax_taunts_us_wi.php

http://blog.futurefacts.net/2008/08/14/future-web-freebase-%E2%80%93-killing-google-with-semantic-precision/

Those are their opinions alone. I include them here to provide various
perspectives.

Best,

David