RE: Why do you want to do that?

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:57:54 +0200
To: "Frank Manola" <fmanola@acm.org>
Cc: "SWIG" <semantic-web@w3.org>, "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@PioneerCA.com>
Hi Frank!

Frank Manola wrote:

>There aren't any classes in RDF (per se);  in RDFS there are classes,
>and they can be treated as individuals (which is where we came in,
>more or less).

As a minor remark, I think it's easier to understand the situation of
classes in RDFS, if one states the above sentence the other way around: In
RDFS there are individuals (aka resources), and some of them can be treated
as classes, namely those which happen to have a class extension associated
with them. Analog, some individuals have a property extension associated
with them, and are therefore properties. An individual may even act as both,
a class *and* a property, if it has both a class extension and a property
extension associated. But in any case (as you say), all classes and
properties are individuals, which exist in the RDFS universe, i.e. the
domain of discourse.

>That is, in RDFS a class is a resource (like
>everything else that can be referred to in RDFS), and resources can be
>the subjects of triples.
>
>--Frank

Cheers,
Michael