Re: Geo Spatial and time information

From: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:13:38 +0100
To: Cristiano Longo <cristiano.longo@tvblob.com>
CC: "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>, link <link@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

Yes, not straightforward if you want to search like that.
Let's say there was a fest in Messina.
So you will record the place as something like
But now, as you say, you can't do the search you want (easily).
So you would need to record the other information you might want, such as
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Sicily and
But I guess that you were going to record something like that in any case,
so using these URIs loses you nothing, and gets you the geolocation data as
well (geo:lat, geo:long).
The good news is that you could use dbpedia to fill in some of the extra
information automatically (ie when you add a festival entry).
The Messina page gives you p:region http://dbpedia.org/resource/Sicily
Which gives p:zone http://dbpedia.org/resource/South_Italy
(I may have got some of the details wrong.)

So hopefully it gives you a some advantage to do it this way.
And then the next thing is people finding you.
So for example, make sure that sindice.com knows about your rdf; then when
an agent is searching for stuff about Messina, it will find your festival

Does anyone have any better suggestions?