Re: advice on duplicate literals

From: Richard Newman <rnewman@twinql.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:33:58 -0700
Cc: "Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-HBE)" <Matthew.C.Johnson@lexisnexis.com>, <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

On  29 Apr 2008, at 6:18 AM, Steve Harris wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2008, at 13:57, Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-HBE) wrote:
>> Does anyone have thoughts on whether it is an implied/expected
>> feature
>> of RDF tools [that perform merges] that they also collapse these
>> literal
>> values?
>
> I'm not sure it's implied, but I think you'll find that the vast
> majority of RDF stores do collapse identical literal values. All the
> ones I've worked with and on certainly do.

Of course, it depends on the features of the store.

* Pure RDF stores almost certainly will
* Reifying stores might not, because they track each assertion of a
statement.

This is also a feature that can significantly impact loading speed
(imagine checking in a 2B triple store if you've already asserted a
statement), so not every system will do this at assertion time.